The INFINTy project is designed to bring to market an ICT solution that facilitates independent living for people with MCI, a condition that is more serious than the normal cognitive decline that comes with ageing but is less debilitating than dementia. By supporting cognitive function, the solution not only increases independence, but can also slow the progression of MCI.
INFINITy is based on the integration of mature technological ICT solutions into a product designed for commercialisation in the growing “silver market” of products and services for older people. INFINITy provides a solution that combines smartphone capabilities and near-field communication to automate a wide set of functions related to activities of daily living. Through the use of GPS tracking and Bluetooth low-energy technologies, the solution helps guide people with MCI and also triggers a set of contextualised messages that can help to preserve cognitive function.
INFINITy will serve to:
- Safeguard independence and autonomy for people with MCI as they perform their daily routines.
- Empower citizen engagement, social activity, self-confidence and security.
- Preserve functional abilities, supporting a variety of indoor and outdoor activities.
INFINITy’s cost-effective solution for remote rehabilitation will have positive benefits for:
- Elderly citizens with MCI, by helping them preserve their functional abilities, extend their autonomy and prolong their active participation in society.
- The healthcare system and payers, by preventing institutionalisation and reducing care costs.
- Society, by reducing the financial and personal costs of caring for people with MCI.